Pondering of transferring to or inside Memphis, Tennessee?
Memphis is extra than simply its iconic Beale Road, Blues music, and BBQ joints. Whereas neighborhoods in Memphis are geographically shut, they’ll fluctuate considerably in each vibe and security.
Your selection of a neighborhood will largely rely in your priorities, particularly in the case of security. The town has its protected havens, neighborhoods which can be acknowledged for his or her low crime charges and tight-knit communities.
So, whether or not you’re scouting for a short lived keep or attempting to find a everlasting dwelling, I’m right here to information you on which protected Memphis neighborhood could be the proper match for you!
Is Memphis, TN Protected to Reside In?
In comparison with different cities in Tennessee, Memphis has increased crime charges in some areas.
Sitting alongside the Mississippi River in southwestern Tennessee, is a metropolis full of soul, music, and wealthy historical past. With a inhabitants nearing 650,000, it’s certainly one of Tennessee’s largest cities and performs a major position within the cultural tapestry of the South.
The town affords a mix of city pleasure and the allure paying homage to a tight-knit group, boasting iconic points of interest similar to Beale Road, Graceland, and a number of the greatest BBQ joints you’ll ever strive.
In case you’re contemplating transferring to or visiting Memphis, security is undoubtedly in your thoughts. Like many cities, Memphis has areas of each calm and concern.
Nevertheless, with the attract of blues music, the Mississippi riverfront, and the promise of scrumptious Southern delicacies comes the truth that Memphis, in sure areas, faces challenges with crime.
Let’s dive into the nitty-gritty of dwelling in Memphis, taking a look at each its safe spots and areas which may want a bit extra warning.
Kicking off with the safer sides of Memphis…
Cooper-Younger ought to be on the prime of your checklist if security and group are prime priorities in your neighborhood search. This small Memphis gem is dwelling to below 3,000 residents, making it an intimate space the place neighbors shortly change into mates.
Cooper-Younger is 23% safer than most Memphis neighborhoods resulting from an energetic neighborhood watch and close-knit group. Residents right here look out for each other and work collectively to stop crime.
The low crime charges and family-friendly setting make it supreme when you have little ones. Faculties like Peabody Elementary are inside strolling distance, and households rave concerning the schooling and alternatives for his or her kids.
Tradition abounds in Cooper-Younger. You’ll discover artwork galleries, dwell music venues, craft breweries, and farm-to-table eating places, all inside a number of blocks of dwelling. The annual Cooper-Younger Competition brings the group collectively to have a good time the neighborhood’s creativity with artwork, music, and scrumptious meals.
Out of doors areas just like the Greenline, Overton Park, the Liberty Bowl, and the Memphis Zoo are simply minutes away by bike or automobile. There’s no scarcity of the way to get exterior and benefit from the good climate.
Renters and householders love the Craftsman bungalows and Victorian-era properties that give Cooper-Younger its historic allure. Whereas property values proceed to rise, Cooper-Younger stays comparatively reasonably priced in comparison with different areas of Memphis.
Windyke is likely one of the most secure, most family-friendly neighborhoods in Memphis. Low crime charges, a robust sense of group, and reasonably priced properties make it a perfect place to calm down.
Dwelling to simply over 6,000 residents, Windyke has a small-town vibe inside the massive metropolis. You’ll get to know your neighbors right here, a lot of whom have lived there for many years. Block events, neighborhood watch teams, and group organizations assist foster that close-knit really feel.
Crime ranges in Windyke are 59% under the nationwide common. You’ll really feel safe strolling round at night time or leaving dwelling for a weekend getaway.
Reasonably priced single-family properties and minimal site visitors make Windyke a horny neighborhood for younger households or these on a price range. Most residences had been constructed between the Nineteen Fifties and Nineties in numerous types like ranch, split-level, and Cape Cod. You’ll be able to snag a beautiful 3-bedroom home for below $200,000.
Eads-Fisherville is a quiet, family-friendly neighborhood positioned within the northeastern a part of Memphis. Identified for being very protected, reasonably priced, and community-oriented, Eads-Fisherville ought to be on the prime of your checklist if you wish to settle in a safe space.
Among the interesting traits of Eads-Fisherville embrace:
- Low crime charge. Eads-Fisherville has a 40% decrease crime charge; Violent crimes are 23% decrease than the nationwide common resulting from its suburban really feel and powerful neighborhood watch applications. Residents really feel very protected strolling round at night time.
- Group occasions. The neighborhood affiliation organizes year-round group occasions like film nights, block events, vacation gatherings, and park cleanups. These occasions assist carry the group collectively.
- Household-friendly facilities. Eads-Fisherville has a number of facilities catering to households, like well-maintained parks, playgrounds, colleges, locations of worship, and leisure amenities. The neighborhood itself has a really family-friendly vibe.
- Reasonably priced housing. You’ll discover reasonably priced single-family properties in Eads-Fisherville, from small starter properties to bigger properties with massive yards. Housing prices are very affordable in comparison with different components of Memphis. Renters can even discover good offers on townhouses, residences, and duplexes.
- Handy location. Eads-Fisherville’s location offers quick access to downtown Memphis, the airport, purchasing areas, and main highways. Nevertheless, the neighborhood maintains a quiet suburban really feel regardless of its proximity to metropolis facilities.
The River Oaks-Kirby-Balmoral neighborhood is likely one of the most safe areas in Memphis. This group is positioned in East Memphis and is safer than 69% of Memphis.
River Oaks-Kirby-Balmoral is an prosperous suburb characterised by tree-lined streets, manicured lawns, and upscale properties. The low inhabitants density and energetic neighborhood watch teams deter felony exercise. Housebreaking and theft are uncommon, and violent crime is nearly non-existent.
The neighborhood has a robust sense of group. Residents steadily collect for occasions like potlucks, e book golf equipment, and fundraisers. Neighbors look out for each other and report any suspicious exercise to the police instantly.
Households with kids respect the realm’s wonderful colleges, youth sports activities leagues, and kid-friendly facilities. Close by points of interest just like the Memphis Botanic Backyard, Dixon Gallery and Gardens, and the Lichterman Nature Middle supply loads of outside recreation and schooling alternatives.
Professionals working downtown have a straightforward 20-minute commute, whereas the I-40 and Sam Cooper Boulevard present fast entry to different components of the town. Locals take pleasure in upscale choices at Grove Grill, People’s Folly, and Andrew Michael Italian Kitchen for eating and leisure.
Harbor City is certainly one of Memphis’ most prestigious and most secure neighborhoods. Positioned on Mud Island in downtown Memphis, Harbor City is a quiet, gated group remoted from exterior site visitors and noise. Some causes it’s thought-about one of many most secure areas in Memphis:
- Gated group with 24-hour safety guards monitoring all entry factors. Residents and authorized guests solely are allowed in.
- Low crime charges. The seclusion and safety measures of the group assist deter felony exercise. Violent crime and property crime charges are 68% under metropolis and nationwide averages.
- Sturdy sense of group. Harbor City has an energetic house owner’s affiliation, and residents steadily arrange group occasions, yard gross sales, and vacation gatherings. Neighbors are inclined to know and look out for one another.
- Stunning environment. Harbor City is positioned alongside the Mississippi River, with parks, strolling trails, and leisure amenities for residents. Nicely-maintained properties and lawns additionally add to the attraction.
- Household-friendly. Harbor City is a well-liked space for younger households and professionals. It has assets for folks of all ages inside its gates.
Sure, Memphis has protected locations, similar to other parts of Tennessee. However, some areas within the metropolis have extra crime.
It’s a metropolis recognized for its music and historical past, however you’ll need to decide the correct spot to dwell or go to. All the time good to know which components are most secure.
Extra from Greenback Sanity: